[Slackbuilds-users] Multiple SBo packages broken after upgrading qt5

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Mon Apr 20 09:48:06 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-20 09:04,
Slackbuilds Users <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> put forth the proposition:

This is what I've found is a good order to upgrade Qt5 for large
version jumps, like 5.7 to 5.9, or 5.9 to 5.12:

1 Uninstall the old Qt5 package
2 Log out of root
3 Log back in as root
4 Build and install the new package
5 Log out of root
6 Log back in as root
7 Upgrade all other packages that depend on Qt5

The reasoning behind all the log outs/ins, is because Qt5 installs
/etc/profile.d/qt5.sh that sets QT5DIR and adds QT5DIR/bin to your
$PATH when you log in (there's a similar file for csh.)  Even though
the old Qt5 is removepkg'd, those settings are *still there* until
you log out.

You can see with a test (assuming bash or a zsh type shell):

env | grep -i qt5

If that command is used before step 4, you shouldn't see anything qt5
related in PATH and QT5DIR shouldn't exist.

Hope that helps.

--
Dave

The antibloat squad!
For those interested in no bloat, minimal desktop Linux
gopher://tty1.uk/1/?minimal-linux
http://tty1.uk/minimal-linux
#minimallinux @ chat.freenode.net