[Slackbuilds-users] qt5-webkit issues

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 26 08:46:09 UTC 2020

On 26/04/2020 03:12, Dave Woodfall wrote:
> On 2020-04-26 00:13,
> Slackbuilds Users <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> put forth the proposition:
>> i've noticed a change in qt5-webkit; any applications that use it will fail
>> if run as root,
>> unless you set QTWEBENGINE_DISABLE_SANDBOX=1 before running the executable
>> that uses it. It may be worth a comment, or something as binaries that used
>> to run as root
>> will not any more without this environment variable set. it effects
>> musescore 3.4.2, and possibly
>> gambas and others that use it (approx 23 packages).
>> regards, Tim
> I'll make a note of it in README, but it's not a good idea to run GUI
> applications as root, especially anything web-browserish, and most
> people would have no need.  Sandboxing it is for safety.
thanks.
yes I'm aware of the risks of running browsers as root, the "software
police" doesn't like anyone running as root. but for package builders
you often should be building packages as root, with full root path env
ie. su - (at least a number of packages will fail otherwise)
and a quick test (while still as root) that the package built and runs
ok would fail in those cases. This is how I spotted the problem anyway. :-)
musescore just crashes (fails to come up) unless you call it with -w  to
disable the web related component, or set that environment variable I
mentioned.
talking of which, incase klaatu is checking this mail group, if he is
interested, musescore 3.4.2 has been out for a few months now, and just
requires the usual version bump and updated download links and md5 sums
in the slackbuild to get it to work.