[Slackbuilds-users] qt5-webkit issues

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Sun Apr 26 09:17:58 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-26 09:46,
Slackbuilds Users <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> put forth the proposition:
> yes I'm aware of the risks of running browsers as root, the "software
> police" doesn't like anyone running as root. but for package builders you
> often should be building packages as root, with full root path env ie. su -
> (at least a number of packages will fail otherwise)

We aren't talking about building packages though.  You don't need
qt5-webkit to build a package.

These "software police" are the people who made *nix systems as
secure as they can be by making a root account for maintenance and
user accounts for normal, everyday use.  Otherwise we end up with a
situation like in Windows, where new users are running everything
under the admin account because they know no better, and where any
nasty little thing they encounter will run with full access and
privileges to screw up their installation, and frequently does.

> and a quick test (while still as root) that the package built and runs ok
> would fail in those cases.

SlackBuild scripts are mean to be run as root, or some of the
commands in them will fail.  E.G. you can't `chown -R root:root' unless
you are have root privileges, and if you don't do that, you end up
with files all over the filesystem with wrong ownerships.

> This is how I spotted the problem anyway. :-)
> musescore just crashes (fails to come up) unless you call it with -w  to
> disable the web related component, or set that environment variable I
> mentioned.

If you need to run musescore as root then something is wrong
somewhere.  Which groups are you in?  What exactly does musescore
need to access that isn't accessible while running as your normal
user?  We may be able to help with a little more info on the problem.

> talking of which, incase klaatu is checking this mail group, if he is
> interested, musescore 3.4.2 has been out for a few months now, and just
> requires the usual version bump and updated download links and md5 sums in

I emailed him a few weeks ago, while doing my first Qt5 testing, and
got no reply, so if you want to submit an update feel free.