[Slackbuilds-users] Add Autodetect to ffmpeg for Optional Dependencies

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 20:43:17 UTC 2020

On 12/13/20 3:42 AM, Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 October 2020 02:02:55 CET Jeremy Hansen wrote:
>> Heinz,
>>
>> I'm a bit frustrated that the developers of ffmpeg don't have autodetect in
>> their ./configure. Your script has definitely helped improve building
>> ffmpeg, but even with that, it is quite inconvenient to have to pass all
>> those VARs to the SlackBuild script (and for users of SBo building programs
>> to figure out how to pass those variables to the program).
>>
>> So I decided to add autodetection for those packages into the SlackBuild
>> script itself and update the variables passed to the ./configure based on
>> that autodetection. pkg-config is used for most of them, but there's 7
>> programs that don't support it, so I just checked for that program's header
>> file.
>
> Hi Jeremy!
>
> Thanks for the poke on LQ and sorry I missed this :(
>
> I agree that this is a beneficial change, just not to the SlackBuild :)
>
> IMHO, the SlackBuild is already very complex as it is. Adding dependency auto-
> detection to it essentially turns the SlackBuild into another build system for
> ffmpeg.
>
> Instead of modifying the SlackBuild to auto-detect the dependencies, you could
> try modifying ffmpeg's configure script to do the auto-detection there, and then
> try to get it upstream.

This may be all a moot point since ffmpeg, at least as it applies to
SBo, is now part of current.

Instead of passing all the VARs, or adding auto-detection to the script,
just add and simple text file with defaults a user can edit and the
script can just source.

Having upstream add auto-detection may be problematic. I've had some
issues over the years with auto-detection failing on Slackware, but
upstream labels that as "not our bug, won't fix" due to some peculiarity
in the Linux distro they use.

-Ed