[Slackbuilds-users] Pixma driver module for Canon scanner

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 10 13:49:05 UTC 2020

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020, Christoph Willing wrote:

> Sorry about that - I don't know why

Chris,

Yes, very strange.

> I think they're referring to their own (sane-pixma) "module" in their
> software, not an actual kernel module.

Ah, okay.

> What you need is a suitable driver. There are (at least) two SBo
> SlackBuilds for drivers covering different Pixma printer/scanners, namely
> system/pixma and system/cnijfilter2 but I don't thinks either of these is
> suitable for your scanner (check each README - I don't see your device
> listed).

I saw cnijfilter2 but didn't build/install it.

> I used to have an earlier model CanoScan LiDE scanner for which I think I
> used the supplied driver on the CD (was a long time ago). To obtain the
> latest driver in your case, I suggest downloading from:
>
> "https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan-lide-400.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=linux%20(64-bit)"

Thank you. I'll definitely do this.

> from where Linux driver packages are available in .deb, .rpm and source
> formats. You'll have to wrangle one of those to install.

The tool, rpm2tgz, is inststalled and I've used that a time or two so I'll
try it on that driver.

I've used my old Epson flatbed scanner for about a dozen years, but it
refuses to work with USB 3.x, the only interfaces on the new desktop. That's
why I bought a replacement.

Regards,

Rich