[Slackbuilds-users] SBo service migration #1 complete

Marek Wodzinski majek at w7i.pl
Fri Jul 3 12:02:18 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020, Robby Workman wrote:

> and have migrated git.slackbuilds.org, www.slackbuilds.org,
> dance.slackbuilds.org (DNS slave), and slackwiki.com to it.

> will not be free. We are investigating options for collecting
> needed funds for hosting (about $1500 per year)

Have you thought about splitting services and migrate them to some hosted
solutions?

For example git to Github or Gitlab, DNS to some free providers as
dns.he.net, wiki to some inexpensive hosting or even migrate to
readthedocs.org or Github pages?
I know that build machine, rsync and probably main site would be still
main issue and I don't know numbers such as requests, i/o, cpu or monthly
traffic, but maybe there is also some solution for it (like spin up one
AWS instance to test build something and then kill it, or use some CI/CD
solution)?
Splitting would also help to find friendly hosting/sponsor for other parts
of site, like rsync could be handled by some of many Slackware mirrors.

$1500 is a real money and I believe that it would be better to get rid of
these costs instead of worrying every year about paying it.

Anyway, thank you for your great work!

Marek
--
"If you want something done...do yourself!"
Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg