[Slackbuilds-users] Google chrome?

Logan Rathbone poprocks at gmail.com
Sun May 31 20:29:57 UTC 2020

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 05:30:30AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2020, Luiz Carlos Ramos wrote:
>
> > To add a suggestion, you may try Vivaldi, which is in SBo repository. I've
> > been using it for some time and I'm pretty sure it has a recent version of
> > Google Chrome under the hoods.
>
> Luiz,
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. I installed chrome from /extra and it had the
> same issue as opera and chromium: the first thing ringcentral's web page did
> was try to access a web page using xdg-open, but it could not find that URL.
> A coding error by ringcentral.
>
> The application provides a link to download a client so I went that route.
> Of course, Slackware was not among the choices, including 'other OS.' I
> downloaded the fedora *.rpm, ran it through rpm2tgz, and installed the
> client. This worked and allowed me to access the planning meeting even
> though the other two participants and also long since left it.
>
> I'll use the downloaded ringcentral client for my presentation; no browser
> needed.

That's probably the best approach in any event. If ringcentral is
anything like Zoom (I believe you said previously it was an offshoot),
then the person hosting the conference has to actually enable a specific
option to allow users to join via browser as an alternative to
downloading the app. The checkbox you need to check off to enable that
is surprisingly hard to find, and I've definitely encountered some hosts
who have not checked it off, making it so that participants are required
to download the app.

Even when I as a host have checked that checkbox, I've noticed that on
Firefox you can only join the conference through your browser for the
video portion, and to join by audio you have to call the toll-free
number of the service.

I don't understand this at all. Isn't the whole point of implementing
these technologies in HTML5 to avoid these kinds of interoperability
issues?

-Poprocks