[Slackbuilds-users] Vim indent settings for SlackBuilds

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Tue Sep 8 15:04:51 UTC 2020

On 07/09/20 23:02,
Andrzej Telszewski <atelszewski at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> I edit using Qt Creator as regular user.

You use that as a general purpose editor?  Isn't it rather slow
compared to plain vim, and doesn't it also need X11 running to use
it?

I don't use X11 unless it's absolutely necessary - for example, to
use a GUI web browser to access some websites that either need
javascript support that I can't get in my usual browser (elinks), or
where having images makes life easier (for shopping mostly).  Or
sometimes to test something with a GUI to see if it actually works.

> I then test building in QEMU (libvirt).
> If your hardware allows, I strongly suggest going this path.
> There are more added benefits to this choice as well.

There are some high spec VMs available for admin use, but I only use
them for large builds that would take a long time and tie my PC up,
otherwise I use a chroot with an overlay filesystem mounted in RAM.
At the end of a test session I simple unmount and remount the overlay
and everything is reset back to a clean chroot.

--
Dave

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.
	 --Friedrich Nietzsche