[Slackbuilds-users] Vim indent settings for SlackBuilds

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:50:51 UTC 2020

On 08/09/2020 17:04, Dave Woodfall wrote:
> On 07/09/20 23:02,
> Andrzej Telszewski <atelszewski at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
>> I edit using Qt Creator as regular user.
> You use that as a general purpose editor?  Isn't it rather slow
> compared to plain vim, and doesn't it also need X11 running to use
> it?
I guess I'm a bit younger than you. :->
I'm X11 guy, using plain Linux VT only for emergency tasks.

When it comes to speed, well, it doesn't matter.
The machine is fast enough and SlackBuilds are small enough.

> I don't use X11 unless it's absolutely necessary - for example, to
> use a GUI web browser to access some websites that either need
> javascript support that I can't get in my usual browser (elinks), or
> where having images makes life easier (for shopping mostly).  Or
> sometimes to test something with a GUI to see if it actually works.
>
>> I then test building in QEMU (libvirt).
>> If your hardware allows, I strongly suggest going this path.
>> There are more added benefits to this choice as well.
> There are some high spec VMs available for admin use,
What do you mean by VM _for admin_?
You mean VM that is not running on your PC, but rather somewhere else,
e.g. in the SBo infrastructure?

> but I only use
> them for large builds that would take a long time and tie my PC up,
> otherwise I use a chroot with an overlay filesystem mounted in RAM.
> At the end of a test session I simple unmount and remount the overlay
> and everything is reset back to a clean chroot.
That is an option.

But I prefer QEMU, since everything is running under regular user, no
_root_ required.
In addition, except for scripts/packages directories, no real hardware
(i.e. /dev /proc /sys) is shared, so the SlackBuild can go mad and it
will not hurt me.