[Slackbuilds-users] Vim indent settings for SlackBuilds

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Tue Sep 8 16:17:54 UTC 2020

On 08/09/20 17:50,
Andrzej Telszewski <atelszewski at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> On 08/09/2020 17:04, Dave Woodfall wrote:
> > On 07/09/20 23:02,
> > Andrzej Telszewski <atelszewski at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> > > I edit using Qt Creator as regular user.
> > You use that as a general purpose editor?  Isn't it rather slow
> > compared to plain vim, and doesn't it also need X11 running to use
> > it?
> I guess I'm a bit younger than you. :->
> I'm X11 guy, using plain Linux VT only for emergency tasks.
> When it comes to speed, well, it doesn't matter.
> The machine is fast enough and SlackBuilds are small enough.
> > I don't use X11 unless it's absolutely necessary - for example, to
> > use a GUI web browser to access some websites that either need
> > javascript support that I can't get in my usual browser (elinks), or
> > where having images makes life easier (for shopping mostly).  Or
> > sometimes to test something with a GUI to see if it actually works.
> >
> > > I then test building in QEMU (libvirt).
> > > If your hardware allows, I strongly suggest going this path.
> > > There are more added benefits to this choice as well.
> > There are some high spec VMs available for admin use,
> What do you mean by VM _for admin_?
> You mean VM that is not running on your PC, but rather somewhere else, e.g.
> in the SBo infrastructure?

Yes

> > but I only use
> > them for large builds that would take a long time and tie my PC up,
> > otherwise I use a chroot with an overlay filesystem mounted in RAM.
> > At the end of a test session I simple unmount and remount the overlay
> > and everything is reset back to a clean chroot.
> That is an option.
> But I prefer QEMU, since everything is running under regular user, no _root_
> required.
> In addition, except for scripts/packages directories, no real hardware (i.e.
> /dev /proc /sys) is shared, so the SlackBuild can go mad and it will not
> hurt me.

I don't mount all of /dev, only a few things that are needed like
/dev/null and /dev/pts to be able to use screen.  No /sys at all.  I
usually mount /proc so I can use ps, but most of the files in it are
empty.

--
Dave

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.
	 --Friedrich Nietzsche