[Slackbuilds-users] offering giving up two roguelike game SlackBuilds

Rubén Llorente porting at use.startmail.com
Wed Mar 10 12:50:02 UTC 2021

David Chmelik <davidnchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm leaning heavily towards giving up my Angband (angband) and Dungeon
> Crawl Stone Soup (DCSS, stone_soup) SlackBuilds.  In recent months/years
> the games changed too much for my taste, much different than what they
> were under the original maintainers (and at least Linley's Dungeon
> Crawl.)  It's on condition I could make an 'angband-retro' SlackBuild
> (before giving up angband or if I could be guaranteed to be able to do
> this one.)  I doubt I'd bother to do the same with DCSS nor make a
> Linley's one if it can even compile on n86_64, but if it can, that'd be
> an interesting one to have (or maybe older DCSS before they started
> removing character types and did tons of bizarre changes.)

Last stable Linley's Dungeon Crawl compiles on OpenBSD. It needs a lot of patches, though. If you are curious, check the OpenBSD port collection for how they do it.

Such a pity with DCSS. I am not very interested in the really new stone_soup myself (you know, the one in which they have the Zot clock instead of food. And they removed the centaur. The freaking centaur is gone).

If you were to freeze for a stone_soup version, which version would you settle for?

I don't think an angband-legacy build is needed unless somebody has the intention of maintaining a build for newer angband versions. If there is interest and somebody willing to maintain a build for a new angband version, I say let him do it, and rename the current one to angband-legacy or angband-$version. Else just leave the current one where it is and just don't upgrade it - just keep ensuring it compiles fine and patch security issues if necessary.

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint:
BB5A C2A2 2CAD ACB7 D50D  C081 1DB9 6FC4 5AB7 92FA