[Slackbuilds-users] Heads-up: rdiff-backup update to 2.0.5 - Incompatible with 1.2.8

Ricardo J. Barberis ricardo at palmtx.com.ar
Sun Mar 21 16:46:01 UTC 2021

Hello all!

A few days ago I was asked to update rdiff-backup from 1.2.8 to 2.0.5,
but this two versions are incompatible if used remotely (e.g., via ssh)
so you have to keep both client and server at the same version.

For local backups (e.g. to an external disk) there's no problem.

I have added a note and a pointer to the docs.

I also took the opportunity to update librsync to 2.3.0 (2.3.1 doesn't
compile on Slackware 14.2 due to a too old cmake version). This one
should be compatible with librsync 0.9.7 but there's a .so version bump
so a recompile is needed. I'll send a sepparate e-mail about this.

Lastly, since rdiff-backup has pylibacl and pyxattr as optional
dependencies I have prepared slackbuilds for them. I'll probably upload
them beforehand.

Since this changes are somewhat invasive, I'd like to ask opinions
before submitting my updates to SBo:
Should I submit them or should I wait for Slackware 15.0 instead?

If I send my changes now there's really no need for people to update
right away, but I don't want to catch anyone with their guard down :)

In the meantime, if anybody wants to test rdiff-backup 2.0.5, the new
slackbuilds are in my github repo:

https://github.com/richarson/slackbuilds/tree/master/14.2/librsync
https://github.com/richarson/slackbuilds/tree/master/14.2/pylibacl
https://github.com/richarson/slackbuilds/tree/master/14.2/pyxattr