[Slackbuilds-users] Heads-up: rdiff-backup update to 2.0.5 - Incompatible with 1.2.8

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:01:55 UTC 2021

On 3/21/21, Ricardo J. Barberis <ricardo at palmtx.com.ar> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> A few days ago I was asked to update rdiff-backup from 1.2.8 to 2.0.5,
> but this two versions are incompatible if used remotely (e.g., via ssh)
> so you have to keep both client and server at the same version.
>
> Since this changes are somewhat invasive, I'd like to ask opinions
> before submitting my updates to SBo:

I never used rdiff-backup or even heard of it, so I don't know the
answer to this: Are there going to be enough people who won't/can't
upgrade (e.g. due to corporate policy) that will be stuck with servers
running the old version?

If that's real concern, you could provide a rdiff-backup-legacy-client
build. Just the client of the 1.2.8 version, with a different filename
(so it doesn't conflict with the regular 2.0.5 build).

That way people who use rdiff-backup with multiple remotes will be
able to keep working with all of them, instead of being stuck with
half the remotes running 1.x and half running 2.x.

> Should I submit them or should I wait for Slackware 15.0 instead?

If you actually do decide to provide a 1.2.8 client-only build,
I don't see a reason not to go ahead and do it.