[Slackbuilds-users] avahi without the server. Caveats.

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Tue May 25 13:20:47 UTC 2021

On 25/5/21 10:45 pm, Didier Spaier wrote:

> I am wondering: why not install *only* the so files from the avahi package?
> What would users miss? which inconveniences, caveats?
> Or, can I just remove the daemon managers

Are you asking just in general terms (for your own interest/use) or are
you suggesting that the SlackBuild should be changed to install only .so
files?

People may use avahi for purposes other than the ones you've examined.
Even if the .so files are sufficient for runtime use, what about
building software that may need avahi's include files (don't ask me to
name them) - perhaps a separate avahi-dev package?

I don't hate avahi enough to treat it differently to half (or more?) of
the packages at SBo that could also be trimmed in some way or other. In
fact I prefer as many features built into my SlackBuilds as possible;
even features I'm not necessarily using today.

chris