[Slackbuilds-users] avahi without the server. Caveats.

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue May 25 15:48:12 UTC 2021

Hi Christoph,

,On 25/05/2021 15:20, Christoph Willing wrote:
> On 25/5/21 10:45 pm, Didier Spaier wrote:
>>
>> I am wondering: why not install *only* the so files from the avahi package?
>> What would users miss? which inconveniences, caveats?
>> Or, can I just remove the daemon managers
>>
> Are you asking just in general terms (for your own interest/use) or are
> you suggesting that the SlackBuild should be changed to install only .so
> files?

In general terms for my own interest, it didn't come to my mind to request a
change in the SlackBuild you maintain
> People may use avahi for purposes other than the ones you've examined.
> Even if the .so files are sufficient for runtime use, what about
> building software that may need avahi's include files (don't ask me to
> name them) - perhaps a separate avahi-dev package?

That could  would be an idea. I could include a package with just the
.so and .h
files. Users needing more would install a full package. I have to think
about
the implications though. or start the daemon managers in rc.M if -x but
leave
them -x by default, which seems more logical if the whole package is
installed
by default

I realize that this maybe off-topic for this lit, sorry if it bothered
anyone.
> I don't hate avahi enough to treat it differently to half (or more?) of
> the packages at SBo that could also be trimmed in some way or other. In
> fact I prefer as many features built into my SlackBuilds as possible;
> even features I'm not necessarily using today.

which is perfectly fine with me.

Thanks and best regards,
Didier