[Slackbuilds-users] make -j${NUMJOBS} discussion

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Sun Apr 3 19:34:17 UTC 2022

On 03/04/22 22:19,
Ozan Türkyılmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> Pzt, 2022-04-04 tarihinde 01:22 +0700 saatinde, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo
> yazdı:
> >

> > You can just export MAKEFLAGS in your machine to achive same results
> > Don't expect others to use same machine as yours and we often test
> > those
> > scripts in a VM with only small specs.
> >
> Don't do that. MAKEFLAGS is for passing command line arguments to
> submake processes [1]. I dont know if MAKEFLAGS="-j2" sh configure
> would do any problem or even make would get it.
> Regards,
> Ozan
> [1] There's some long talk abut it
> here:https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Options_002fRecursion.html
> Also here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/19622824/7247759

But also

The MAKEFLAGS variable can also be useful if you want to have certain
options, such as ‘-k’ (see Summary of Options), set each time you run
make. You simply put a value for MAKEFLAGS in your environment.

However:

If you do put MAKEFLAGS in your environment, you should be sure not to
include any options that will drastically affect the actions of make and
undermine the purpose of makefiles and of make itself. For instance, the
‘-t’, ‘-n’, and ‘-q’ options,

Same ref[1]

--
Dave