[Slackbuilds-users] abandoning all my slackbuilds

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Wed Apr 27 03:39:19 UTC 2022

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022, Richard Narron wrote:

> The existing 1 clause BSD style license is there because it seems to be
> what Patrick Volkerding uses for Slackware.
>
> This makes it easier to promote a SlackBuild if Patrick accepts it into
> the main distribution.
>
> When Patrick switches to WTFPL then I would say go for it, otherwise I
> would just leave it alone.

WTFPL says "Do WTF you want with this". Including relicensing it as
BSD. If PV wants to adopt one of my builds, he can do that.

Actually, see:

https://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware64-15.0/source/ap/man-db/man-db.SlackBuild

...in which PV *did* adopt one of my builds, and left it as WTFPL.

On the other hand:

https://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware64-15.0/source/xap/xaos/xaos.SlackBuild

...he adopted that one, which didn't originally have a license at all,
and he put the BSD-ish 1-clause license on it. No problems there,
either.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I (and other SBo maintainers)
shouldn't be forced to use the same license PV uses, just because PV
uses it.

There are other things Pat does differently in his SlackBuilds, such
as using NUMJOBS, or calculating VERSION by extracting it from the
tarball filename, that we don't do with SBo builds.