[Slackbuilds-users] BOINC fails to build [configure step]

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Thu Apr 28 08:28:02 UTC 2022

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

> Il 27/04/22 21:48, B. Watson ha scritto:
>> You're right... but why'd you compile wxGTK3 statically?
>
> Hi,
> I followed the instructions found on
> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/academic/boinc/ that reports this:
>
> "Building
>
> (1) BOINC needs a static library for wxGTK3, compile with
>
>  STATIC=yes ./wxGTK3.SlackBuild"

Hm. I wonder if that's still true. I know I compiled boinc with a
shared wxGTK3 (without STATIC=yes) at the time I edited its SlackBuild.

I utterly failed to notice the "needs a static library" in the README;
I was in the middle of mass-rebuilding the entire libraries/ dir (over
1000 builds). boinc failed to build because of the wxGTK3 vs. wxPython
conflict, so I fixed it... but the fix didn't take the "must be
static" into account because I just didn't notice it. The package
built anyway, so I moved on to the next build failure from the queue
(there were hundreds of them).

And running ldd on the various binaries the package, I see that
/usr/bin/boincmgr is dynamically linked with the wxGTK3 libraries
(libwx_gtk3u_xrc-3.0.so.0, etc).

boincmgr seems to run just fine, when built that way. I get a GUI
with a main window and a "choose project" dialog, both windows seem to
behave just fine.

None of the other binaries in the boinc package link with wxGTK3. I'm
assuming none of them are intended to have a GUI ("boinc" and
"boinc_client" just show messages in the terminal I start them from,
"boinccmd" shows a usage message, etc).

Can you try this yourself? Built wxGTK3 without STATIC=yes, build
boinc (without changing the script), see if it behaves properly for
you? I'm thinking the note in boinc's README is outdated and should
go away.