[Slackbuilds-users] BOINC fails to build [configure step]

KB_SBo sbo at linuxgalaxy.org
Fri Apr 29 01:37:22 UTC 2022

On 4/27/22 12:48, B. Watson wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>
>> --with-wx-config=/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/wx/config/gtk3-unicode-3.0
>>
>> this path really does not exist after wxGTK3 installation (statically
>> compiled).
>
> You're right... but why'd you compile wxGTK3 statically?

Because I said so in the README (as already mentioned in another
response).  Thus, you get
/usr/bin/wx-config -> /usr/lib64/wx/config/gtk3-unicode-static-3.0

> If there's a common use case for it, if lots of people are compiling
> wxGTK3 statically, the logic for detecting the correct wx-config
> will have to be updated

Static {yes | no} will depend on upstream source. One should never assume.

> For those unaware: the problem is that both wxGTK3 and wxPython
> install a /usr/bin/wx-config symlink that points to a "config" shell
> script that spits out things like CFLAGS and linker flags for linking
> with that version of wx*.

This was discussed and address at length and on this list and
Linuxquestions.  Heck, even I've forgotten a time or two (e.g. wxcam
that needs wxPython), thinking that I needed to drop it fro 15.0 until
someone on this list slapped me awake.

> For years now, we've had a situation where SlackBuild that need wxGTK3
> won't build, if wxPython is also installed and was installed after
> wxGTK3. The --with-wx-config stuff is an attempt to fix this.

 Perhaps an earlier if/then clause to check for and then set the correct
'--with-wx-config' path.  Perhaps something like

if [ -x /usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/wx/config/gtk3-unicode-3.0 ]; then
   WX="--with-wx-config=/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/wx/config/gtk3-unicode-3.0"
else
   if [ -x /usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/wx/config/gtk3-unicode-3.0 ]; then

WX="--with-wx-config=/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/wx/config/gtk3-unicode-static-3.0
   else
      WX=""
   fi
fi

I didn't catch this when I was testing, since I wasn't informed that
anyone was monkeying with the slackbuild...or didn't bother to read the
README for build requirements..or tell me that this was a problem that
needed fixing.

> Are lots of you compiling wxGTK3 with STATIC=yes?

Who Knows?  I know I am. No issues yet that I can recall, unless a
dangling '--with-wx-config' without notice or explanation.

Since I am working on a version update, I'll check on this static thing
an add the '--with-wx-config' if/or as needed.  If you change something,
I better get a freakin' email about it.

-Ed
Grumpy Boinc SBo Maintainer.