[Slackbuilds-users] Proper Method to Categorize Desktop Apps

Konrad J Hambrick kjhambrick at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:23:29 UTC 2022

All --

Been playing with the OTB.SlackBuild and OTB Version 8.0.0

I am getting clean builds and the program works as expected.

`sbolint` returns no errors or warnings, but when I run

sbopkglint /tmp/OTB-8.0.0-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz I get a hint:

Running test: 35-desktop...usr/share/applications/monteverdi.desktop: hint:
value "Education;Science;ImageProcessing;Geography;Qt;" for key
"Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" contains more than one main category;
application might appear more than once in the application menu
OK

Otherwise, all tests are OK

Note that sbopkglint returns the same hint on the  OTB Version 7.3.0
Package file.

There is a doinst.sh script that I took from the Version 7.3 SlackBuild (
below by sig )

What is the proper way to set up a Desktop App in an SBo ?

Thanks.

-- kjh

# ------------------cut  here - doinst.sh ------------------
if [ -x /usr/bin/update-desktop-database ]; then
  /usr/bin/update-desktop-database -q usr/share/applications
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/update-mime-database ]; then
  /usr/bin/update-mime-database usr/share/mime >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

if [ -e usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache ]; then
  if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
    /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache -f usr/share/icons/hicolor >/dev/null
2>&1
  fi
fi