[Slackbuilds-users] Epson M105 printer with PPD on CUPS (it was Re: Howto for slackware tgz)

Beco rcb at beco.cc
Tue Feb 1 02:01:45 UTC 2022

Dear Donald Laster, Jeremy, Chris and Kris,

Sorry for the late reply, I was unable to test all the options you
gave, due to some health problems. I'm back trying to install the
printer.

To recap:

I have a epson M105 via wifi that I use with other multiple devices,
android, linux, etc. (all working.) Now I'm trying to add Slackware to
the pool.

----------

----------

On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 at 23:38, Christoph Willing <chris.willing at linux.com> wrote:

> On 13/1/22 11:39, Beco via SlackBuilds-users wrote:
> > Hi Jeremy, hi Chris,
> >
> > Thanks for the tips, guys.
> >
> > I'll take a look at every link.
> >
> > Currently I'm having trouble with my printer, Epson M105, and I'm
> > trying to adapt source code from drivers I've found in "src.rpm" to
> > slackware package format.
> >

> Have a look at:
>         https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/epson-printer-utility/
>
> whose README.models claims to support the M105 Series (and is based on
> a src.rpm too).
>

> chris
----------

The Slackware experience for this specific printer is not the best.
I'm trying to configure a new server using Slackware and it is a first
attempt after a lifetime away from this distro that I love. (It was my
first distro in 1998/1999). So, lets give it a try.

I tried to install the "14.2 > System > epson-printer-utility (1.1.1)
" (I'm on Slackware Current), and it didn't compile. After some
tweeks, I got it to compile with errors but didn't work.

Anyway: I was not that much upset, since this is not the path I would
prefer to take. I don't need the utility, the monitor, ink levels,
nozzles checks, etc. I can skip all that.

In all my other linuxes, it is enough a PPD file that I have, and
CUPS. And that is it. so, i tried the other path I am more familiar,
just to install the printer with PPD.

CUPS detected it with a lpd://localhost:port and also I can connect
with socket://localhost:port. So, these 2 options can "see" the
printer and send "test pages", but all end up as garbage.

The PPD file I have that I used in many systems, passing from one to
another and it always worked, don't work anymore. I noticed that it
gives this error:

Idle - "File "/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201215w/cups/lib/filter/epson_inkjet_printer_filter"
not available: No such file or directory"

I have tried to compile this filter from many sources, RPM, Debian,
Slackbuilds, but I can't find a way to make this filter work.

For now, my hope is that the maintainer of the Slackbuilds packages
that may offer this would make it updated for slackware-current.

Donald, I completely agree with you. Regardless how the printer is
connected, if CUPS is working, and I have the PPD, the printer should
work fine. I guess this PPD I have is not well suited to the PATH of
slackware filters. Maybe a small adjustment, or to find if the printer
can work with another filter that comes with CUPS , that could work.

Thanks for now, I'll keep trying and keep you guys posted.

Cordially,
Bèco

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan
Greenspan

GPG Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x5A107A425102382A
Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09

Essa mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao seu destinatário e pode
conter informações confidenciais, protegidas por sigilo profissional,
direitos autorais reservados, ou cuja divulgação seja proibida por
lei. O uso não autorizado de tais informações é proibido e está
sujeito às penalidades cabíveis.

information that is confidential and protected by a professional
privilege, reserved copyright, or whose disclosure is prohibited by
law. Unauthorised use of such information is prohibited and subject to
applicable penalties.