[Slackbuilds-users] greenhorn greetings

k22 at trixtar.org k22 at trixtar.org
Wed Feb 16 13:35:36 UTC 2022

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 17:50:13 +0000 (UTC)
Nix <nix at nixing.mx> wrote:

> >> the answer to "When can I expect it to be available?" is "When you add
> >> it." :D It's actually not so hard, just some shell scripting.
>
> I've found that this is the usual response and I understand why, yet for
> new comers it can be overwhelming.
>
> Again I understand and i'm eagerly waiting for slackbuilds to open it's
> doors for the slackware stable 15  so I can submit updates for libstrophe
> and profanity, and add new slackbuilds for its crypto support.
>
> > Thank you very much, for now I'm totally swamped by these legion
> > package-tools, having been spoiled rotten by Suse Yast :-)
>
> I've been in your shoes  (and probably still am). I created a write-up
> where I tried my best to explain the "confusing" parts of Slackware
> package management. That may be of help to get you started.
>
> I'd suggest to not feel discouraged by the overwhelming feeling that can
> sometimes appear when trying to get into using Slackware. In my
> experience it's worth the slight learning curve.
>
> Write-up: https://nixing.mx/posts/exploring-slackware-slackbuilds.html

Thank you very much, for now I'm tinkering with slkpkg as it
does dependencies but it isn't on for 15.0 yet. I want to first
of all get to a point where I can do my most frequent 'compuke'
chores on Slackware as well with a semblance of comfort: email,
some browsing, seamonkey-composer, gftp, usenet etc. I'm just
about OK with these already except for sylpheed. After this
phase-1 I will get into the more focused activities for guitar
sessions with my 'studio' apps and Google-Earth. Eventually
I want to do just about everything I do with a computer on
any one of my computers, using any one of my OS'es and either
KDE or XFCE, rotating these on a daily basis so as to build
and preserve familiarity and to never be captive of any monopoly :-)