[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-legacy340 needs improvements - Unmaintained ?

KB_SBo sbo at linuxgalaxy.org
Tue Jun 7 22:39:00 UTC 2022

On 6/7/22 14:54, Joe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I noticed various issues with nvidia-legacy340 slackbuild scripts.
> They need to be edited to better complying with the new Slackware
> 15.0 system.
> An example is libOpenCL.so: the script overwrites the dispatcher
> provided by ocl-icd package from slackware official repository.
> Something similar happens with OpenGL, and maybe some other
> files.
>
> I tried to contact the current maintainer of those slackbuilds but
> after about 20 days I haven't any reply.
> I have a brand new, really powerful Nvidia GPU, GT218 GeForce
> 210,ready to be tested "against" an improved SBo package, but I
> lack a bit of knowledge and skills to offer myself as maintainer.
>
> Hope somebody here could offer itself, legacy340 scripts need
> you!  :D  ;D

Hello Joe,

I used to maintain all the nvidia drivers back when before passing them
off to a new generation when I moved to AMD GPUs. No idea why Mats isn't
responding. You may want to check your spam folder!

This version is EOL per Nvidia:
--------
The Linux 340.* legacy driver series is the last to support the G8x,
G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for
X.Org xserver version 1.20 was added to the 340.* legacy driver series
with version 340.107, and support for Linux kernels up to Linux 5.4 was
added with version 340.108. No further releases from the 340.* series
are planned.
--------

I see that nvidia-legacy340-kernel has been heavily patched to support
newer kernels. Thus, running 'NVIDIA-Linux-<arch>-340.108.run' directly
will no longer work. There have also been changes to X.org and Mesa that
do need to be addressed.  Frankly, I'm surprised to see it in the
repository.  Kernel 5.4 is the last official kernel.  I gave up on it
(see changelog).

Possible solutions:

1.
Run it as is.  Even if the script stomps and a few files, those aren't
needed once you blacklist nouveau. If you need to revert back, simply

# nvidia-switch --remove
# removepkg nvidia-legacy340-{driver,kernel}...
# upgradepkg --reinstall xorg-server-1.20.14 mesa-21.3.5
(versions as of today)

2. Run nouveau and skip nvidia.  Support is pretty complete/

NV50 Tesla
NVA8 (GT218) 	GeForce 8400 GS, ION 2, GeForce 205, 210, G 210M, 305M,
310(M), 405
Quadro FX (380 LP, 380M), NVS (300, 2100M, 3100M)
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/FeatureMatrix.html

3. Get a cheap AMD Polaris 10/11, Vega. or NAVI GPU. Full 2D/3D Support
OOTB. Nothing to install.  Running RX590 and RX5700XT here.
Slackware64-15.0 Multilib.

-KB