[Slackbuilds-users] Slackbuild with Two Executables

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Wed Mar 23 05:43:04 UTC 2022

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022, Brandon Pribula wrote:

> For the option of using an ENV variable, can it also be used to install both
> scripts as long as makepkg isn't called twice?

> Then just use appname for the package name no matter which option is chosen.

Sure, but...

> In the README I could specify which executable to call depending on the
> options chosen.

If you're using the environment variable approach... why not name the
executable 'appname' in the package, regardless of whether it was
originally called 'appname' or 'appname-posix' in the source? User
always types same command to run the script...

But, if you're going to go to the trouble of writing up an explanation
in the README, you might as well skip the environment variable,
and just install both scripts in the package, and mention in the
README the fact that the user can choose to run either 'appname' or
'appname-posix'.

If the two scripts are in two separate download files, that's not
really a problem (put both in DOWNLOAD= in the .info file, write
SlackBuild code to extract both).

One thing you might want to do... look through the repo and see what
others have done, to get ideas. Though these days that can be pretty
time-consuming (we have almost 8000 builds now).