[Slackbuilds-users] Slackbuild with Two Executables

Brandon Pribula b.pribs11 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:33:37 UTC 2022

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 10:43 PM B. Watson <urchlay at slackware.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2022, Brandon Pribula wrote:
>
> > For the option of using an ENV variable, can it also be used to install
> both
> > scripts as long as makepkg isn't called twice?
>
> > Then just use appname for the package name no matter which option is
> chosen.
>
> Sure, but...
>
> > In the README I could specify which executable to call depending on the
> > options chosen.
>
> If you're using the environment variable approach... why not name the
> executable 'appname' in the package, regardless of whether it was
> originally called 'appname' or 'appname-posix' in the source? User
> always types same command to run the script...
>
> But, if you're going to go to the trouble of writing up an explanation
> in the README, you might as well skip the environment variable,
> and just install both scripts in the package, and mention in the
> README the fact that the user can choose to run either 'appname' or
> 'appname-posix'.
>
> If the two scripts are in two separate download files, that's not
> really a problem (put both in DOWNLOAD= in the .info file, write
> SlackBuild code to extract both).
>
> One thing you might want to do... look through the repo and see what
> others have done, to get ideas. Though these days that can be pretty
> time-consuming (we have almost 8000 builds now).

Well for the environment variable approach I wanted to give the option of
installing both, so in that case the executables would have to have
different names. So in terms of the script I thought it would make sense to
just have distinct names for the executables no matter which option they
chose.

I didn't realize there were that many slackbuilds. That's impressive!

Thanks again for your help :)