[Slackbuilds-users] KiCad not loading symbols

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Sun May 8 07:02:33 UTC 2022

Hi Dan, when you first run kicad you need to create a project (this is
directory and main file). then you need to start with the schematic
editor, and kicad will ask for the locations of the files, giving you
the option to copy the default global symbol table, which you should do
(because the slackware packages install global data files, and kicad
expects each user to use their own copy)

Now you can place devices on the schematic, and power rails and
connections between them. (that works fine on mine)
then you need to set the footprints for each device (the physical sizes
of the devices). Finally, you can open the pcb editor, and load in your
schematic. you can then place the devices, and sort out the routing etc.
If you did the kicad-packages-3D then you are also able to view a
preview of your circuit board in 3d.

I didn't have to set any environment variables or do anything special.
(at least to get as far as the schematic editor and adding parts from
the library)

Regards, Tim

https://www.avg.com