[Slackbuilds-users] KiCad not loading symbols

Daniel Prosser dpross1100 at msn.com
Sun May 8 03:25:53 UTC 2022

Hello,

Hopefully someone knows something about KiCad and can tell me what I'm
doing wrong. I am a complete novice trying to learn how to use it. I
installed it from SBo along with all dependencies as well as most of the
extra packages (kicad-symbols, kicad-templates, kicad-footprints,
skipped kicad-packages3D because it's so huge), but when I go to insert
a symbol in the schematic editor, there are none available. I checked in
the preferences and it does have the relevant environment variable
pointing to /usr/share/kicad/library, where kicad-symbols installs the
files, but it still doesn't "see" them there. Also, there were no
symbols installed by the base kicad package; I'm not sure if that is
expected or not.

Am I missing some simple step to load the symbols library, or did
something go wrong with the build?

Thanks,

Dan