[Slackbuilds-users] Patch to add Malloc=1 to Epiphany's desktop file?

Dave W. dave at slackbuilds.org
Sat Oct 1 17:30:13 UTC 2022

On 01/10/22 13:21,
Charadon via SlackBuilds-users <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> put forth the proposition:
> On 10/1/22 11:19, SlackerNET UK wrote:
> > I am working in a little group of people to provide GNOME 43 for
> > Slackware current and Slackware 15.0.
> > I didn't change the session.conf and org.gnome.Epiphany.desktop file. I
> > just created two files in /etc/profiles.d.
> > epiphany.sh
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > export  WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0  export  GIGACAGE_ENABLED=0  export
> > G_SLICE=always-malloc
> > export  Malloc=1
> >
> > epiphany.csh
> >
> > #!/bin/csh
> > setenvWEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0  setenvGIGACAGE_ENABLED=0
> > setenvG_SLICE=always-malloc
> > setenvMalloc=1
> >

> > On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 2:13 PM Charadon via SlackBuilds-users
> > <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> > <mailto:slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hey all,
> >
> >     If it's alright with everyone, I want to patch the .desktop file for
> >     the
> >     Epiphany Browser to add the environment variable Malloc=1. It fixes a
> >     lot of web page crashes that are related to xdg-desktop-portal crashing
> >     constantly while using it.
> >
> >     ~ Charadon
> >     Archives -
> >     https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/
> >     <https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/>
> >     FAQ - https://slackbuilds.org/faq/ <https://slackbuilds.org/faq/>
> >

> Hmm, but would the WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 not make the browser less secure?
> Or does it mean something else than what I think (sandboxing tabs and all
> that)

It also means that the file would need to be sourced first.

IMO the .desktop patch idea is much easier to implement and, as you
said, safer too.

--
Dave

sbo-maintainer-tools (sbolint, sbopkglint):
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/system/sbo-maintainer-tools/

SBo templates:
https://slackbuilds.org/templates/

How to format github downloads: