[Slackbuilds-users] Problem/fix for SlackBuild for MP3Diags

David Halliwell dhalliwe at rogers.com
Wed Apr 12 22:21:19 UTC 2023

    Hello. A long-time Slackware user here, but relatively new to using
SlackBuilds. Sending this email without subscribing to the mailing list.

    Today, I wanted to build/install the MP3Diags software
(https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/audio/MP3Diags/?search=mp3diag).
It would not build, exiting with a message about not finding Qwidget. I
had seen the qt4 dependency, and had downloaded, built, and installed
qt4 using he Slackbuild, but MP3Diags would not build on my Slackware
15.0 system (upgraded last year from 14.2). I also tried building it on
a fairly clean Slackware 15.0 VM, but had the same error.

    Looking closely at the SlackBuild script and the errors messages on
the terminal window, I was able to determine that the build script was
finding and using qmake from the standard qt5 installation, not the qt4
version. I manged to work around this by changing line 83 from 'qmake'
to '/usr/lib64/qt4/bin/qmake', and then I also needed to change line 88
from 'lrelease' to '/usr/lib64/qt4/bin/lrelease'. After those changes,
MP3Diags built, installed, and ran successfully.

    I have contacted Dominik Drobek (the listed maintainer) about this.
He is still on 14.2, and he mentioned that there is a newer version of
MP3Diags available upstream that uses qt5, but he does not have time to
do any updates now. He suggested that I take over - but I also do not
have time, and do not feel I have the necessary skills to be able to
revise the script for a new version.

    I don't know if my fix is the best way, or whether there is
something odd about my system with leftover cruft from previous
Slackware versions, but I thought I'd take the time to send in the
information on the fix I have found, in case someone can make the
changes - or has a better solution.

    Thanks for having this resource available.

--
David Halliwell