[Slackbuilds-users] ngspice does not depend on openmpi

Franzen slackbuilds at schoepfer.info
Fri Apr 28 18:56:56 UTC 2023

Am 2023-04-28 15:14, schrieb Fellype:
> Em sex., 28 de abr. de 2023 às 09:52, Franzen via SlackBuilds-users
> <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> escreveu:
>
>>> I don't use ngspice, so have no special interest in it (and no
>>> knowledge about its prerequisites).
>>>
>>> However, as a general principle, I don't think that just because a
>>> SlackBuild will complete without some other SlackBuild as
>> dependency
>>> (here openmpi), that the "dependency" should be precluded. Who
>> knows
>>> what functionality it provides when it is included? Maybe that
>>> functionality is not useful to everyone but it may be useful to
>> some.
>>>
>>> I don't believe we should be generating minimalist libraries or
>>> applications, rather products containing as many features as
>> possible
>>> which the authors have made possible. End users should be able to
>>> expect whatever functionality the product is able to provide, not
>> some
>>> subset of the possible functionality.
>>>
>>> People who know what they're doing and who want some minimalist
>> build
>>> are free to leave out whatever they want and edit their personal
>>> versions of SlackBuilds accordingly. Please don't insist that
>> everyone
>>> is bound by the same idea.
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback.
>> In this case, openmpi doesn't even change the binary, it does
>> nothing at
>> compile-time.
>> It also does nothing if available on a single device.
>> Ngspice might use openmpi if it's available and configured to use
>> multiple devices in a network.
>>
>> Despite i lean towards minimal dependencies, this dependency feels
>> just
>> wrong, it feels like e.g. a dependency on one more display as it
>> might
>> be a
>> comfortable feature.
>> I would mention openmpi in the README anyway, i hope the maintainer
>> gives some feedback too.
>>
>> Johannes
>
> Just as a reference, the ngspice package on Arch Linux enables the
> option --enable-openmp in the make flags but openmpi is not listed as
> a dependency (see
> https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-community/blob/packages/ngspice/trunk/PKGBUILD
> )

Thanks for your feedback.
openmpi has nothing to do with openmp, openmp is built into some
ngspice-engines when enabled at builttime via --enable-openmp(this is
the case here, the openmp-part is already included in the
ngspice-source, no dependencyy/requirement needed),
see https://ngspice.sourceforge.io/docs/ngspice-manual.pdf chapter
16.10.
The documentation doesn't mention openmpi at all.

Maybe this was confused by the maintainer, feedback appreciated.

Johannes