[Slackbuilds-users] ngspice does not depend on openmpi

Fellype fellype at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:14:00 UTC 2023

Em sex., 28 de abr. de 2023 às 09:52, Franzen via SlackBuilds-users <
slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> escreveu:

> > I don't use ngspice, so have no special interest in it (and no
> > knowledge about its prerequisites).
> >
> > However, as a general principle, I don't think that just because a
> > SlackBuild will complete without some other SlackBuild as dependency
> > (here openmpi), that the "dependency" should be precluded. Who knows
> > what functionality it provides when it is included? Maybe that
> > functionality is not useful to everyone but it may be useful to some.
> >
> > I don't believe we should be generating minimalist libraries or
> > applications, rather products containing as many features as possible
> > which the authors have made possible. End users should be able to
> > expect whatever functionality the product is able to provide, not some
> > subset of the possible functionality.
> >
> > People who know what they're doing and who want some minimalist build
> > are free to leave out whatever they want and edit their personal
> > versions of SlackBuilds accordingly. Please don't insist that everyone
> > is bound by the same idea.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
> In this case, openmpi doesn't even change the binary, it does nothing at
> compile-time.
> It also does nothing if available on a single device.
> Ngspice might use openmpi if it's available and configured to use
> multiple devices in a network.
>
> Despite i lean towards minimal dependencies, this dependency feels just
> wrong, it feels like e.g. a dependency on one more display as it might
> be a
> comfortable feature.
> I would mention openmpi in the README anyway, i hope the maintainer
> gives some feedback too.
>
> Johannes

Just as a reference, the ngspice package on Arch Linux enables the option
--enable-openmp in the make flags but openmpi is not listed as a dependency
(see
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-community/blob/packages/ngspice/trunk/PKGBUILD
)
By the way, openmpi is in the 'extra' repository of Arch Linux (
https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/openmpi/)

Regards,
Fellype