[Slackbuilds-users] RFC updates for gdal slackbuild

Christoph Willing 475.chris.willing at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 01:02:52 UTC 2023

On 3/12/23 10:03, Greg Tourte wrote:
> Hi Jheengut,
>
> no that just means that you need to recompile whichever package you
> are getting the error with after upgrading gdal.
>
> What I mean is that a lot of things can be compiled in gdal, such as
> netcdf, hdf5, kml, xerces-c... currently the slackbuild relies on the
> autodetection in cmake and compiles these feature if present on the
> system and not if not. I am proposing to explicitly make most of these
> actual requirements so that the output package is as fully featured as
> possible the same way most other distros have it.
Fully featured is the way to (a bit like Slackware itself).

I don't agree with the (fairly widespread, I believe) aim to make
everything as slimmed down as possible at the expense of functionality
that the "average user" is probably expecting. If/when you include them,
those aesthetes who don't want (in this case) netcdf, hdf5, kml,
xerces-c support are always free to remove them from their local
gdal.info file.

chris