[Slackbuilds-users] RFC updates for gdal slackbuild

Giancarlo Dessì slack at giand.it
Mon Dec 4 18:29:30 UTC 2023

Il 02/12/23 21:38, Greg Tourte ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I have been looking at the gdal slackbuild for version 3.8. I have
> held off for now as it had an issue with building when an older
> version was installed. Since I reported the issue upstream and a patch
> has since then been written, I can now work on it.
>
> The new release is rather trivial although it bumps the shared library
> version. However, the current script doesn't really specify most
> dependencies and basically relies on what is already installed on the
> system. Most other distro packages will build gdal with enforced
> dependencies and I am very tempted to change the script to do so as
> well (especially now that the circular libspatialite  dependency is no
> longer an issue).
>
> What do people think. Do any one have any objections?
>
> Cheers
>
> Greg

Hi

I usually build gdal with a fully (autodetected) support to these
dependencies (most installed for testing the slackbuild of other
packages that depends on gdal, such as pdal, saga-gis, OTB, qgis, and a
my own slackbuild (not included in SBo) for GPlates, a cute graphical 3D
application that shows the dynamics of tectonic plates

The order of builds/installations is

libecwj2 (*) > xerces-c > postgresql > proj > freexl > geos > SFCGAL >
hdf5 > netcdf > libkml > gdal >TauDEM > postgis > OpenSceneGraph > pdal
 > OTB > (libspatialite) > saga-gis > qgis

(*) this is an old library supported by gdal that extends the support to
ECW/Jpeg2000 proprietary formats in qgis

I'm not sure if I understood. I find useful the default enabling by the
cmake settings of gdal because they work fine: all optional dependencies
are well autodetected and their installations do not cause issues
usually. IMHO it should be a good idea to keep the enabling by default
and/or leave the user the option to disable them if are installed but
not requested

Giancarlo Dessì
https://www.giand.it

Slackware Linux... because it works!