[Slackbuilds-users] KDE kuickshow image viewer (testing, needs extra-cmake-modules)

David Chmelik dchmelik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 11:38:04 UTC 2023

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 06:05:58 -0500 (EST), B. Watson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2023, David Chmelik wrote:
>> Still learning sbo-maintainer-tools.  Will address these before I
>> formally upload.  All below failed tests are about stuff in the source
>> code file itself.  Should I fix these in script and/or graphics editor,
>> or contact/ bug-report KDE?
>
> Probably both: they're trivial issues...
>
> Wrong permissions on a .desktop file can be fixed with a chmod in your
> script (after the 'make install').
>
> For wrong-sized icons, you can just include correct-sized ones with your
> build and have your SlackBuild overwrite the ones in $PKG with your own.
> Or, you can have your script use 'convert' (from ImageMagick) to resize
> them.
>
> And *also* let upstream know, so maybe it'll get fixed there and you can
> simplify your SlackBuild in the future.

Thanks!

> Question: Why you're packaging random git commits... usually it's best
> to stick with releases, unless (a) there are no releases (but, there
> are, for kuickshow), or (b) the later git code has fixes that are needed
> to get the app to compile and/or run (or, that fix a major bug). I'm not
> trying to tell you what to do, just wondering why you did what you did.
> If you put a comment in your script, explaining the situation, nobody
> will have to wonder...

I've been using 'commit' releases since previously, and the normally-
numbered version release was over two years ago.  If a project doesn't do
at least quarterly normally-numbered versions (Slackware originally did
more often than that, and then most early years) but still 'commits' (to
cvs, git, hg, svn, ...) then I consider they likely only 'commit'.  In
recent years, bigger projects do normally-numbered snapshots monthly (like
KDE Neon) or even weekly (like Gentoo) and still 'commit'.  I waited over
a year for kuickshow and they only 'commited'.  If it has problems, we can
revert to normally-numbered version.  Maybe 50+% of projects I follow
haven't released a normally-numbered version in years or over a decade and
just 'commit'... I dislike it, but feel there's no alternative than to
keep up this way.