[Slackbuilds-users] Explanation regarding reverting python3-mistune to build python-m2r

isaacyu1@isaacyu1.com isaacyu1 at isaacyu1.com
Sun Jan 29 05:38:36 UTC 2023

Hi everyone (Yth, David, Duncan),

It seems like we (Yth and Duncan) have come to a consensus - we do not need python 3 support for python-m2r.

​​David, can you please remove python3 build support from the python-m2r package?

- Isaac

On Friday, January 27, 2023 10:04 PST, Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
 Hi Guys,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 10:38:36AM +0100, Arnaud wrote:

> > Hi Duncan,
> >
> > I suggest simply removing python 3 support from python-m2r instead.
> > In that case, we do not need to update python2-mistune.
> >
> > If we really need python 3 support for python-m2r, I would suggest splitting
> > python-m2r into 2 packages: python2-m2r (v0.2.1), which depends on
> > python2-mistune (v0.8.4) python3-m2r (v0.3.1), which depends on
> > python3-mistune1 (v0.8.4) ??????
> > As I mentioned, python3-mistune1 is meant to be an older version of
> > python3-mistune (at v2.0.4).
> >
> > ???????????????After all, it was Yth's original intention to split mistune into
> > python2-mistune and python3-mistune.
> >
> > - Isaac
>
> I think it's the best thing to do.
> m2r is only used by Automat, and has been removed as requirement, because it's
> optional, and only used for generating better documentations.
>
> It is very possible that Automat uses the /usr/bin/m2r command, and not any
> Python import, so having the python2 version of m2r wouldn't prevent
> python3-automat for using it.
>
> Since m2r looks very unmaintained, and should still work while being python2
> only, it looks safe to remove the python3 support for it.
>
> As for mistune, the python2 version, stuck at 0.8.4, is only used by python-m2r,
> so all this stays pretty legacy, and we have nice updated stuff on python3.
>
> My advice is that we don't need a python3-m2r or a python3-mistune1.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Yth.

Whatever you decide to do is fine with me - I was just trying to update all my
pre-15 builds.

Cheers ... Duncan.