[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20230128.1

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 30 01:51:40 UTC 2023

On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 04:36:26PM -0500, B. Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2023, Andrew Clemons wrote:
>
> > This looks like you have not sourced /etc/profile.d/go.sh or
> > /etc/profile.d/go.csh after installing google-go-lang.
> > I get your error above if I try building containerd with gccgo.

That was it. Rather than log out/in (and lose my directory stack), I did:

> pushd /etc/profile.d
> LLCT # LLCT is aliased to `ls -AFlct --time-style=long-iso|head'
> . ladspa.sh
> . lv2.sh
> . vamp.sh
> . go.sh

since they had all changed since login.

> I got a question. If a SlackBuild needs a profile script to be
> sourced, why oh why doesn't it just source it, instead of requiring
> the user to log out and back in?
>
> If it's already been sourced, sure, you might end up with duplicates
> in $PATH or such, but that won't cause any harm. And it'll save a lot
> of headaches, and make automated mass-rebuilds a lot easier.

Ah well. The thing is, you have to source the profile script *in your terminal
session*: it's no use the SlackBuild or installpkg doing it because the
environment of the process running the command is lost on command completion.

Best might be a line in the README maybe like

> To use <pkg> without logging out and in, enter . /etc/profile.d/<pkg>.sh

Cheers ... Duncan.