[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20230128.1

Andrew Clemons andrew.clemons at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:16:32 UTC 2023

On 2023-01-29 16:36:26 -0500, urchlay at slackware.uk wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2023, Andrew Clemons wrote:
>
> > This looks like you have not sourced /etc/profile.d/go.sh or
> > /etc/profile.d/go.csh after installing google-go-lang. I get your
> > error above if I try building containerd with gccgo.
>
> I got a question. If a SlackBuild needs a profile script to be
> sourced, why oh why doesn't it just source it, instead of requiring
> the user to log out and back in?

I don't think I can answer that. It seems to not have been a convention
- other builds which have dependencies which setup paths with profile
scripts like the different JDK builds, or even qt5 in the previous
cycles, haven't sourced the profile scripts from those dependencies.
Those probably fail in a clearer way - the golang builds silently fall
back to gccgo instead of just bailing making the failures more cryptic.

> If it's already been sourced, sure, you might end up with duplicates
> in $PATH or such, but that won't cause any harm. And it'll save a lot
> of headaches, and make automated mass-rebuilds a lot easier.

Perhaps it is a thing we should add to the templates. Or if anyone knows
of a reason why it is a bad idea, it would be good to hear it.