[Slackbuilds-users] proposal to enable building scripts on ARM

Heiko Rosemann heiko.rosemann at web.de
Sat Mar 4 18:54:35 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

On 3/4/23 12:50, Ruben Schuller wrote:
> ARM isn't going away, and slackbuilds.org supporting at least a subset
> of scripts to be build on ARM would be really nice to have. I'm not
> heavily invested in it, I just have some RPis with Slackware on it that
> I occasionally use. Just sharing my thoughts, as it's a semi-frequently
> discussed topic.

I used to run a Raspberry Pi up until 2020 with Slackware and a couple
of scripts from slackbuilds.org...

> The main problem with allowing support for ARM is that the layout of
> the info files would change, which could break tooling. I just had an
> idea which wouldn't break any existing tools, but could enable
> architecture specific information to be read by other tools (or
> humans):

...so my question is more or less: What do you mean by "support"?

Most scripts I've tried in the years leading up to 2020 just built,
using sbopkg. They got the source from the DOWNLOAD line in the info
file (it's not DOWNLOAD_X86, after all) and just set the arch to 'uname
-r' and built just fine. If that's what you mean by "support", go for
it. You're mostly on your own, though.

If - on the other hand - by "support" you mean some more or less
official note in the .info file or on slackbuilds.org, I guess I agree
with Willy.

YMMV,
Heiko

--
eMails verschlüsseln mit PGP - privacy is your right!
Mein PGP-Key zur Verifizierung: http://pgp.mit.edu