[Slackbuilds-users] proposal to enable building scripts on ARM

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Sat Mar 4 19:15:41 UTC 2023

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023, Heiko Rosemann wrote:

> Most scripts I've tried in the years leading up to 2020 just built, using
> sbopkg. They got the source from the DOWNLOAD line in the info file (it's not
> DOWNLOAD_X86, after all) and just set the arch to 'uname -r' and built just
> fine. If that's what you mean by "support", go for it. You're mostly on your
> own, though.

Modern 64-bit ARM is going to need LIBDIRSUFFIX=64 for things
to work nicely. Wouldn't be hard to add that to every script in
the repo. We've discussed it and the consensus is, it's not a bad
idea... but if we do it, it will have to wait for the next development
cycle (when submissions are closed, right after the next Slackware
release).

As far as adding e.g. DOWNLOAD_aarch64 to the .info file, that's not
likely to happen any time soon. It would require database changes on
the site, and that's not something to be done lightly.