[Slackbuilds-users] Too many java's

Klaatu klaatu at mixedsignals.ml
Mon Mar 6 16:03:36 UTC 2023

On Sunday, March 5, 2023 5:42:04 AM NZDT M Wedin wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> jdk is a most tiresome package. Oracles way of hiding it under
> agreements and licensing makes me break out in sweat every time it is
> updated. Not often enough that I remember hos I did it the last time,
> but often enough bug me to no end.
>
> Two potential links are given:
>
> "You might be able to download the necessary parts from here:
> https://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp"
> Here I'm given four links to packages. The heading of the page says:
>
> "Java Downloads for Linux
> Recommended Version 8 Update 361
> Release date: January 17, 2023"
>
> Neat!, Exactly what I need. Version: perfect. However, it turns out to
> be jre, not jdk. The buildscript does, of course, not recognise the
> downloaded file.
>
> Homepage:
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
>
> At this site, I find varous kinds of jdk-19. jdk (8u361) is nowhere to be
> found.
>
> If I can get help finding the correct file, I'd be happy. If
> developers found a way to not use Oracles tools, I'd be ecstatic.
>
> Wedin

It's not on SBo, but for working with Java, I highly recommend SDKMan (it's an
easy install).
It's like a Java-specific `alternative` command, except it also includes a
downloader that can grab whatever version you need.

http://sdkman.io

Using `sdk list java` reveals that it can acquire Oracle (19) as well as
OpenJDK, plus a bunch of other builds.

Here's a tutorial on how it works:
https://opensource.com/article/22/3/manage-java-versions-sdkman

Hope that helps.