[Slackbuilds-users] orphaned buildscripts

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Tue May 16 12:38:09 UTC 2023

On 13/5/23 11:02, KB_SBo wrote:
> All:
>
> While assisting a friend in getting some software compiled, he emailed
> the currently listed SBo maintainer:
>
>> Benjamin Trigona-Harany, the former qgis maintainer, wrote that he dropped
>> all his SBo packages two years ago.
>
> Therefore it looks like these are all up for grabs:
>
> -----------------------------

> network/tornado

I'm not using tornado at the moment but some time ago I used it
intensively on a large project and so, for sentimental reasons, I
wouldn't like it to disappear from SBo.

The existing version on SBo dates back to 2018 and uses python2. The
latest available version properly uses python3 and this is the version I
would want to maintain.

However the existing (python2) version is depended on by some other
SlackBuilds (libraries/toro, system/salt, python/tornado_systemd,
system/graphterm, libraries/python2-matplotlib, system/butterfly), so I
guess the python2 version of tornado would need to stay around for their
benefit.

I'd like to propose that I create and maintain a new SlackBuild for
python3-tornado while the existing tornado could be renamed as
python2-tornado or even remain as is (assuming someone else steps in to
take it over).

chris