[Slackbuilds-users] orphaned buildscripts

Giancarlo Dessì slack at giand.it
Tue May 16 17:03:58 UTC 2023

Il 16/05/23 08:39, Ozan Türkyılmaz ha scritto:

> Giancarlo Dessì <slack at giand.it>, 16 May 2023 Sal, 00:04 tarihinde
> şunu yazdı:
>

>     I grabbed also *pdal*, the update is almost ready, but I'm
>     studying how
>     to install automatically various optional dependencies if detected:
>     unlike gdal, pdal enables various plugins only if users set
>     explicitly
>     respectives flags in cmake (DBUILD_PLUGIN_X=ON). Some dependencies
>     have
>     no slackbuilds in SBo, so they have to be created next time.
>

> Usually Maintainers put shell variables which are set by the builder.
> But you can check them
> yourself inside the script using pkg-config or checking the existence
> of a library .so file.
>
> Regards,
> Ozan

Yes, but I think that a switchable optional dependency through an
environment variable can be useful and notify it in README. Some source
check optional dependencies with cmake and enable them automatically in
the build if detected. This is done for example by gdal: his source
include a powerful autodetecting process so the slackbuild does not
require to set environment variables.

Other applications, like ffmpeg for example, do not check if an optional
dependency is installed, so their build require to enable manually the
feature by adding manually specific flags to cmake. PDAL has a similar
behavior: the build of plugins is disabled by default in the source. If
not considered that in a slackbuild, the package will be installed with
limited features, but in some cases this is very important: tools like
gdal or pdal are needed to read/write geo/spatial datasets in formats
not common. For example, the IceBridge format is used only for data
released by a single subproject of NASA. PDAL is able to manage it but
this feature is not added by default.

I would implement the slackbuild to extend automatically the features of
the package if supported by the system. Users may disable them if not
required passing an environment variable and/or not installing an
optional dependency.

Giancarlo Dessì
https://www.giand.it

Slackware Linux... because it works!