[Slackbuilds-users] Intent for python SlackBuilds with SLKCFLAGS and LIBDIRSUFFIX

Vladimir Nikishkin for_slackbuilds-users_mlist_2023-04-21 at lockywolf.net
Thu Sep 21 03:07:58 UTC 2023

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo <willysr at slackbuilds.org> writes:

>> Since sbolint (from system/sbo-maintainer-tools) is being ran on github PR
>> requests and newer versions of sbolint are catching when SLKCFLAGS and
>> LIBDIRSUFFIX are not being used, are we expected to not include them on the
>> SlackBuilds? If so, should we remove the entire if/then block for the ARCH
>> detection since that's typically all it does?
>> I ask because the templates for python SlackBuilds still include the ARCH
>> detection block and I don't want to remove it from my SlackBuilds if the
>> admins are expecting them to be there to simplify mass edits in the future.
>> I imagine this also applies to other SlackBuilds, but have only noticed it so far
>> with python ones. I expect there is a desire for consistency when possible, so
>> I'd love some clarification!
>
> Well, it's a template and the original intention was to provide a generic template
> for every packaging methods, but most python-based projects do not use those
> variables so it's safe to remove them whenever you see them in your scripts and you
> have verified that the build process works just as before.
>
> It's harmless warning, so we won't be doing a mass edit unless someone is willing
> to do it during development cycle for future SBo repository (assuming 15.1).

Those are not useless.
Firstly, some python packages build c-based components "behind the
scenes", and it is better to pass some CFLAGS to them.

Secondly, python packages install things into
/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/python$PYTHONVERSION/site-packages, and sometimes
it does not autodetect LIBDIRSUFFIX correctly.

--
Your sincerely,
Vladimir Nikishkin (MiEr, lockywolf)