[Slackbuilds-users] hw-probe should be arch independent

dimitar at nikov.net dimitar at nikov.net
Tue Feb 27 09:40:39 UTC 2024

Hi Erich,
I hope you are doing well.

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

On 2024-02-26 21:38, Erich Ritz wrote:
> Hello Dimitar,
>
> hw-probe looked interesting so I tried building it.  The build failed
> as x86_64 is "UNSUPPORTED".  But the Debian package is arch
> independent, so I don't know why you have this restriction.

Slackware package is arch independent too, hence x86_64 download is
marked as unsupported. I do believe this is correct for acrh independent
packages.
There should be no issues building the package using SlackBiulds script.
Would you mind providing me more details about the errors you are
getting when trying to build it please?
Thank you.

> More than that though, I don't think you need to repackage the Debian
> binary.  The project supplies a Makefile. The software is just a perl
> script that gets installed to /usr/bin/hw-probe.

Makefile provided by upstream does not make any difference as it does a
simple mkdir -p / copy (when installing) and rm -f (when uninstalling).
The idea to repackage Debian package have a man page and I am little bit
lazy (as any other programmer) :D

> Upstream doesn't provide a man page, but it looks like Debian just uses
> help2man, which Slackware has.

Nice shout, will move to help2man in next version update.

> Here is the contents of the Debian package (I just exploded the Debian
> package tarball):
>
> $ tree usr
> usr
> ├── bin
> │   └── hw-probe
> └── share
>     ├── doc
>     │   └── hw-probe
>     │       ├── README.md.gz
>     │       ├── changelog.Debian.gz
>     │       └── copyright
>     └── man
>         └── man1
>             └── hw-probe.1.gz
>
> 6 directories, 6 files
>
> So it shouldn't be too difficult to just grab the upstream source to
> generate the package.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I will move to upstream source in the
upcoming update.

> Erich

Best regards,
Dimitar