[Slackbuilds-users] hw-probe should be arch independent

Erich Ritz erich.public at protonmail.com
Mon Feb 26 21:38:00 UTC 2024

Hello Dimitar,

hw-probe looked interesting so I tried building it.  The build failed as x86_64 is "UNSUPPORTED".  But the Debian package is arch independent, so I don't know why you have this restriction.

More than that though, I don't think you need to repackage the Debian binary.  The project supplies a Makefile. The software is just a perl script that gets installed to /usr/bin/hw-probe.

Upstream doesn't provide a man page, but it looks like Debian just uses help2man, which Slackware has.

Here is the contents of the Debian package (I just exploded the Debian package tarball):

$ tree usr
usr
├── bin
│   └── hw-probe
└── share
    ├── doc
    │   └── hw-probe
    │       ├── README.md.gz
    │       ├── changelog.Debian.gz
    │       └── copyright
    └── man
        └── man1
            └── hw-probe.1.gz

6 directories, 6 files

So it shouldn't be too difficult to just grab the upstream source to generate the package.

Erich