[Slackbuilds-users] Question about rolling source packages and version numbers

Erik Falor ewfalor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 23:43:46 UTC 2024

Hi all,

LuaJIT uses rolling releases. There are no release tarballs available for
download.  Instead of manual increments for each release, the build process
uses the POSIX time stamp of the latest commit as the release number of the
semantic version.

The full version number is in the format `$major.$minor.$timestamp`.  For
instance, the latest SlackBuild I'm preparing has this version number:
2.1.1703358377.

One can download a tarball of a specific commit from their GitHub mirror[1].
Because they aren't given tags with the version number, you have to refer to
them by the commit ID:

https://github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/archive/c525bcb9024510cad9e170e12b6209aedb330f83/LuaJIT-c525bcb9024510cad9e170e12b6209aedb330f83.tar.gz

Of course, this means that the tarball expands to a subdirectory that
contains
the commit ID instead of a version number in its name.

I can reconcile this by adding the $REVISION variable to the SlackBuild:

PRGNAM=luajit
REVISION=${REVISION:-c525bcb9024510cad9e170e12b6209aedb330f83}
VERSION=${VERSION:-2.1.1703358377}

Is this a satisfactory solution, or has this problem been solved in a
better way
by another maintainer?

[1] https://github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT

--