[Slackbuilds-users] tracking down missing sbo dependencies

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Mon Mar 4 18:53:02 UTC 2024

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> I found the glktermw package had at least one missing dependency so ended
> up building glkterm directly from git packages outside of slackware and
> outside of slackbuilds

What dependency is missing? It builds on a clean full install of 15.0,
and it works when fizmo is built with glktermw installed: I get a
fizmo-glktermw executable, which works (I'm playing Zork in it now).

Looking at glktermw's Makefile, the only dependency I see is
libncursesw, which is in a full Slackware install. What did you mean
by "at least one missing dependency"?

What problems did you have building glktermw with the SBo script? Can
you post the full log (stdout and stderr) of the build?

> Does this routinely happen when scripts on
> slackbuilds could have been written better so those dependencies get
> pulled in and compiled?

No, broken builds do not routinely happen. If they do, they get fixed
ASAP... which is why I want to see your build log: if something's
wrong with my build, I want to fix it.

If you're using -current rather than 15.0, well, SBo only supports
15.0 (or whatever the latest stable is). Still, if there's a way to
fix it so it works on -current, I'll go ahead & do that if I can.

> I think that glktermw package is meant for graphical user environment not
> necessarily text user interfaces.  Now I already have glkterm working
> here, I could download glktermw and see if it will build and if it can
> work in text user interface.

fizmo-glktermw is definitely a text user interface. It runs in a
terminal.

Also, glktermw's own readme.txt says:

    GlkTerm: Curses.h Implementation of the Glk API.

    This is source code for an implementation of the Glk library which
    runs in a terminal window, using the curses.h library for screen
    control.

Curses definitely means terminal, not GUI.

fizmo is actually the only thing on SBo that uses glktermw. I don't
know any other applications that use it... what are you using when you
say you have it "working here"?