[Slackbuilds-users] WIP: protobuf3 25.3

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 12:51:05 UTC 2024

If you update just a single package without checking other programs you
have installed, you could continue to run into issues like this. We ensured
the clementine update was pushed in the same public update as protobuf3 to
make sure that the repo continued to work.

This week we're working on an SQLAlchemy update and another package I
maintain (sickchill) needs to have an update to work (I actually have to
remove a patch that allowed it to still work with the older version). If
you update sickchill without updating SQLAlchemy, sickchill will break,
just as if you update SQLAlchemy without updating sickchill, sickchill will
break.

If you do pick and choose which updates to make without doing everything
and something is broken, try rebuilding it to see if it fixes it.

As for the versioning, this is the version from upstream. On SBo, it hadn't
seen an update in almost two years while upstream kept chugging along.
Also, sometimes upstream will change how they version things, so you might
see big jumps at times.

The tools don't care about jumps in versions, in fact, they don't even care
what the version number is, just that the version and/or build number is
different than the current version or build number. This is why there is no
issue using commit IDs as versions or throwing dates or kernel versions
into the version.

Jeremy