[Slackbuilds-users] skypeforlinux cannot be fetched

Shahab Vahedi list at vahedi.org
Fri Mar 22 10:09:49 UTC 2024

March 22, 2024, Jay via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> As a stopgap: https://slackware.uk/sbosrcarch/by-name/network/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux_8.94.0.428_amd64.deb

Thank you very much! I didn't know about this "*/sbosrcarch/by-name/*".
The package built this way works pretty well on my system. See below.

> Or just try if the SlackBuild still works with the most recent version:
>
> # VERSION=8.110.76.107 skypeforlinux.SlackBuild

I just tried it and I see a few things that I don't like:

1. In settings, I could not disable the _optional_ diagnostics data collection.

2. Once again, in settings, clicking on "Default device" for "Speaker"
and "Mic" reveals no drop down menu. The older version, lists the devices.

3. There's an initial setup in the older version that you use to test.

4. The shortcut is called "Skype Preview".

I will stick with the older version from slackware.uk. However, the script on
SlackBuilds.org remain broken. If the maintainer/list agrees, I will submit a
new package, only changing the URL to slackware.uk.

Cheers,
Shahab