[Slackbuilds-users] intro, plus a query on packaging script suite

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Aug 3 06:26:55 UTC 2006

Grant wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm here too!  Also joined the bugs list.
>
> Query: Junkview <http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/junkview/> and
> 		<http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/junkview/archive/>
>
> Is it worth doing a SlackBuild for a set of scripts that require some
> effort to utilise as they integrate with iptables to produce firewall
> activity summary report?  See: <http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/junkshow/>
>
> I'd appreciate a review and opinion whether this project is worth packaging.
>
> At present the installer script symlinks into the system and has an uninstall
> option to pull the symlinks.
>
> Required public domain databases are downloaded by the user as part of
> install, they're not part of the package.  Initial download could be
> automated in a SlackBuild like pciutils pci.ids.  An update script pulls
> latest databases (IP to country, bogons), required once a week or month
> or so.  Data is preprocessed as junkview is designed for low end boxen
> running firewall, <http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/test/boxen/deltree/> is
> the development box, facing Internet 24/7, running slack-current (mostly).

Grant:

Welcome to the lists; if you get on IRC, come see us in
#slackbuilds on freenode.

In reference to junkview, I have to admit that it's a nice
project.  Honestly, I'm not sure if it's do-able in a way that
we'll be able to accept on the site.  It's not officially written
down anywhere, but the prevailing mentality among us was this:
users should be able to download all needed sources separately so
that they have the ability to do the install on a non-internet
connected box.  In this case, that may not be a valid concern, as
  the type of software pretty much assumes connectivity, but I'm
leery still - I mean, if you allow it once, then...  :/
However, if the databases and other needed stuff are small, then
we can host them in the app's directory here, and the update
scripts can be included as part of the sources.  That would
(hopefully) allow for only one source tarball download (that of
the main junkview source), with the databases and other stuff,
including the SlackBuild script and README files hosted at SBo.
If you decide to give it a try going this route, make sure you
have a good README file in the doc directory (and reference it in
the README that's hosted on our server) which explains the update
process.

Did all of that make any sense??  ;-)

RW

--